Today I was listening to Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy and The New Pornographers Mass Romantic and I realized these were really good albums, they just got lost in the abyss of the music surrounding it. Bands such as Sufjan Stevens, Antony and the Johnsons, and The New Pornographers, Okkervil River all had great releases that year; 2005. Having listened to all of these at the time, I was just kind of sick of that unique-ness that surrounded those type of orchestration based bands. The Pornographers have a great sound that kind of hearkens back to the great pop of the early to mid 80's...The Cars, The Smiths, Blondie, The Police. Pop bands that actually played instruments and played them pretty well. Okkervil has more of a folk rock feel, but I still get the organics of a live drum and guitar. Seems that the good pop albums of the 80's were more kind of drum, guitar and bass. This is the feeling I got out of these releases...maybe I'm way off base here, this is just something I've been musing on today.
Here's the playlist:
The Cars - My Best Friend's Girl
The Police - Roxanne
Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone
The Cars - Don't Cha Stop
The Police - Message in a Bottle
The New Pornographers - Mystery Hours
Okkervil River - For Real
The Pernice Brothers - Pisshole in the Snow
The New Pornographers - Letter From an Occupant
The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like your idea of approaching an album after its been in the earstream for a couple years, it def will bring out new ideas and comparisons
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna try to give that playlist a listen in the nest week.